You know how sometimes you feel like your life is ending? Like when your phone smashes on a hard marble floor? Not only that, but you’re also trying to network with people at a work event and your whole body warms over and you feel like you’re going to puke after eating something that REALLY didn’t agree with you? Yes, I had quite the week. Luckily, the Genius Bar at the Apple store saved my life (I might have hugged them profusely) and I will forever stay away from gamble salads that have a bunch of god knows what in them. I’ve come to find out that I’ve developed quite a few food allergies over the years. Needless to say, I was THRILLED by the time Friday rolled around. Let the weekend begin!!
Not only that, but Chicagoland was teased with a little bit of summer weather. This girl even got a sunburn one morning!! But let’s back up, last weekend was my daddio’s birthday and in true runner’s fashion, I just ran to my parents’ house to 1. get my run in and 2. wish him a happy birthday asap. Sorry for the sweaty, smelly greeting Dad haha at least your other daughter isn’t a crazy runner. :p
Also, I got him a Fitbit Charge 2 and I have to say, I’m a bit jealous. I have a Garmin I only wear when I run, but I think it would be pretty nifty to see how many steps I’m getting in and connect with my other Fitbitters (because I’m competitive like that). Because of family health scares, I felt like not only would this fit the bill for his interest in techy stuff, it’ll really help guide him and motivate him to move around more since he works mostly from home now. I love him a whole heck of a lot.
Half marathon training has officially started as well which is another reason why I wanted to test myself and pack on the miles that weekend. On average, my mileage has been somewhat on the low side (5-6 miles per run). Time to ramp it up! The race is mid-late May so the weather should cooperate for the most part when it comes to training. It’s just a matter of being good with cross training and stretching properly so I don’t injure my hamstring tendon again (knock on every solid surface). I tend to run based on how I feel which doesn’t always coincide with my training schedule…that’s when I get in trouble. Going too hard too much is just a recipe for disaster.
My survival guide to half marathon training includes:
- Training in the morning on the weekends (hell if I’m going to get a long run in past noon).
- Keeping race day in mind. (No one likes this day to come and feeling completely unprepared).
- Staying focused on my race day goals. I would like to beat last year’s time, so that means no slacking and keeping my nutrition in check!
- Taking care of my body. This means avoiding that extra vodka drink and empty calories that will just slow me down the following morning.
- There’s no time for excuses. Really, everyone has at least 1 hour in the day to get some training in so make it count and get it done.
- Maintain a realistic schedule. If I know I have a long work day ahead, I’ll get my workout in before then because God knows my head won’t be in the game post-multiple meetings later.
- Train smart. Again, this goes back to me stretching properly, incorporating more crosstraining during the week and building more muscle and flexibility to avoid injury.
And really on weekends like this one, I’m more than happy to slap on those running shoes and go out for a long run. It’s a great way to reset the body too after indulging a little too much during the week. So many birthday celebrations, so much good food. Not to mention, my playlist was ON POINT. Has anyone else jammed out to the new Chainsmokers album? So much YASSSSS.
I also made sure to get a good, leisurely walk in with the hubs. Basically, I took advantage of this damn good weather every chance I got. Give me sun. Give me fresh air to just inhale all day long.
Training aside, I got some quality big sis time in this weekend. We did some major damage shopping and caught up on the latest with each other. Why Free People? Why must you have all the cute things? I picked this tunic up because…obviously.
Not only that, but I got my puppy fix in. How can you have a bad day with this silly face staring back at you? #cutenessoverload
I would totally be fine with having another day off with this weather. Lazy Sundays just can’t be a thing when you haven’t seen amazing weather like this in MONTHS. It’s instant happy. I hope everyone enjoyed their weekend!